Friday, August 16, 2013

August 16, 2013 Getting Ready: Behind the Scenes Part 2


I wanted to mount my work for the November show so that it could later be removed.  To start, I used a staple gun to attach the hook side of Velcro to the painted stretched canvas.  The stretcher bars that I used were custom made and thus had a flat rather than rounded edge making it easier to staple gun the Velcro.


Next, I sewed the felt side of the Velcro to grosgrain ribbon on the sewing machine using a wide zig-zag stitch.  I sewed the velcro about 1 mm. from the edge, leaving that much grosgrain along the edge so I could then sew the ribbon to the quilt without having to sew through the Velcro.  I then sewed the Velcro attached to the ribbon onto all four edges of the quilt using a whip stitch along the edge and secured the other side of the Velcro with a running stitch.









No comments:

Post a Comment