Tuesday, July 16, 2013

7/16/13 Documenting Your Work


A couple of years ago at the Denver conference of SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates, Inc.), I attended a presentation given by Nancy Bavor from the SAQA Board of Directors about reasons for documenting your work.  She talked about a record you could refer to yourself to refresh your memory about processes you’d done and also as a resource for museum curators.

I had already started keeping some rough notes about the computer part of my work as there were so many steps involved, I wanted, if necessary,  to be able to duplicate what I’d done.  Her talk made so much sense to me that I began to amplify my note-taking.  About a year ago, I was approached by Dana Jones, SAQA JOurnal Editor,about doing an article about how I was documenting.  That article, Using documentation to enhance art-making techniques, is in the current issue of the SAQA  Journal, Vol. 23, No.3, Summer 2013.  Dana did a great job of reporting on the process and capturing the spirit of what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment