Thursday, July 4, 2013

Welcome to my blog!


Welcome to my blog!  I’ll be writing about my own work in digital textiles and also about other art that I see in galleries and museums.  Right now I’m working on two pieces, one a digital textile triptych for my solo show at aBuzz Gallery in Denver in November, and the other a digital printed aluminum piece for a show called Radical Elements back East opening April, 2014.  No photos of the work allowed until the shows open but here’s a picture of me in my home-made Hazmat suit varnishing the aluminum piece.

Last week I was at the Denver Art Museum to see their all museum show called SPUN.  Each department has selected pieces from its collection in all areas of the textile arts, from deeply colored red, white and black Navajo ponchos to delicate designs for commercial prints for home decor.  

The most exciting part of the whole show is an exhibit by Nick Cave.  You walk into a room with black walls completely covered floor to ceiling in buttons and find a row of mannequins dressed in eye-popping costumes made of buttons, sequins, beads, pieces of reclaimed sweaters and Granny squares, metal sand pails, noisemakers.  Brilliant colors and designs and boundless imagination and design.  No photography allowed, however.  

But, I also attended the Nick Cave performance last Friday night where some of his Soundsuits were worn in dance sets by members of Denver dance troupes.  The music, also provided by local bands, was loud and the dance at times frenetic.  Bodies were vibrating and not just the dancers!




No comments:

Post a Comment